SUMMARY OF POSITION
At COAST Construction, the Carpenter is required to have an excellent understanding of carpentry techniques and wood properties with the ability to read and interpret architectural and structural design drawings. The Carpenter position reports to Operations Manager, the project’s Site Supervisor and Project Manager and provides expertise in all areas of carpentry (framing, forming and finishing). This position ensures safety standards are met. We are looking for a professional and dedicated individual capable of showing independent judgement and initiative who will fit with our collaborative culture.
Monday to Friday – 40 hours/week – 8hrs/day
Extended hours and/or weekend work may be required at times to maintain project schedule
Based on qualifications
Eligible for the extended benefits package after 3 months of full-time
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
– Read architectural and structural blueprints, drawings and sketches
– Take measurements, calculate the size and amount of material needed and cut, shape and smooth lumber and other material
– Understand requirements of major trades at rough in and finishing stages (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, millwork, interior finish)
– Build window frames, doors, staircases and frame buildings by using raw materials or pre-constructed items
– Finishing work such as installing interior and exterior trim
– Ability to work with exposed timbers
– Layout floor systems/Roof systems
– Understanding of envelopes/barriers as they may be tied into framing
– Attend meetings with Site Supervisor and Project manager to stay informed on project progression
– Use/store materials properly in order to avoid waste, shortages and eliminate avoidable delays in projects. Immediately address deficiencies to prevent production delays
– Exterior caulking
– Install window liners and casings
– Assemble furniture, cabinets, shelves etc and install where designated
– Build scaffolding and other construction structures (i.e. Setting forms for concrete construction)
– Engage in proper tool maintenance and report any damages, misuse or lost/stolen tools
– Complete post-construction repairs and maintenance, as required
EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
– Committed to Coast’s core values of quality, accountability, commitment to clients, teamwork and safety
– High school diploma with carpentry certification or skill level acceptable to the company (5+ years)
– Proficient understanding of carpentry techniques, methods of installation and ability to read technical documents and drawings
– Experienced in using electrical and manual equipment and measurement tools (powered saws, hammers, rulers etc.).
– Must maintain Level 1 Occupational First Aid certificate
– Willingness to adhere to safety guidelines at all times
– Knowledge of local building codes
– Good oral communication skills in English and a good understanding of basic math
– Experienced with residential and commercial projects in the range of $1-5 million
– Ability to maintain a professional demeanour at all times, to adapt to an everchanging environment, ability to work productively and harmoniously with co-workers
– Committed to providing superior service to our clients
– Proven success at taking ownership for one’s responsibilities, being punctual and delivering outcomes within the defined timeframe
– Performance of the required duties may require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities are required: close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools or controls and the ability to sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
– While performing the duties of this job, the employee may work at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud. This position requires a high degree of personal contact, with constant multi-tasking and a high degree of stress.
Requirement for Personal Protective Equipment
– Per the Company OH&S policy employee to supply and wear hard hat, rated protective footwear, safety glasses and high vis vest, gloves etc when on construction sites
Valid BC driver’s license and access to a reliable insured vehicle.
*Please note that you must have authorization to work in Canada (you must possess Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Resident Status or a Work Permit).
If you are looking for a fulfilling, long-term career, please fill out the form below and attached your resume and cover letter which detail how you meet the qualifications and competencies described above.
Thank you for your interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.